this makes me giggle so hard
this makes me giggle so hard
Friends and strangers! I’m attending the Lake Junaluska 2012 Multicultural Conference, and I’d love for you to join me. I care deeply about creating and sustaining sacred communities where ALL people play a welcome and vital role in making disciples and transforming the world. It’s what’s awesome about Court Street UMC, and it’s what’s awesome about the Kingdom-Household of God.
Register for the conference here: http://www.lakejunaluska.com/multicultural/ Feel free to print out the flyer below, or click here for a PDF of the flyer: 2012 Multicultural Conference @ Lake Junaluska!
From a pretty hilarious blog, overall. It uses GIF images to comment on pastoral and seminary life, particularly from a mainline protestant perspective. This particular one is entitled “Introversion after a day heavy on the pastoral care.” (Click the link for the full blog below)
Below is a “Sanctuary Covenant” I put together for use at any church gathering, whether a small group, committee meeting, program ministry, or worship service. I find that people are aching for a safe space in which they will feel loved and encouraged. God is calling the Church to be such a safe space. Much of this is from an awesome study published by the UMW entitled “The Journey: Forgiveness, Restorative Justice, and Reconciliation.” I think it’s the best curriculum I’ve ever used in any churchwork. Buy it here, at the mission resource center.
[At the bottom, you will find a link to a PDF of the Sanctuary Covenant, which I created for use at Court Street UMC.]
– A safe-space covenant for use at any church gathering, small group, committee meeting, program ministry, etc.
~ ~ ~
We covenant to:
– Create a safe and kind space—a fellowship of warmth—in which all people may discern, discuss, and follow our callings from God, to be disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, with open minds, open hearts, and open doors.
– Prepare prayerfully and carefully for our time together.
– Speak with respect.
– Listen with respect.
– “Step Up, Step Back” – People who are often quiet or reserved are encouraged and invited to “step up” into the conversation more than usual, and people who are often eager to speak first and lengthily are encouraged to “step back” from dominating the conversation, making room for all.
– Keep confidential those personal stories shared in the Circle.
– Stay in the Circle throughout the discussion and come to all of the sessions/meetings, if at all possible.
– Enjoy one another’s company. God is here, in this moment, to be enjoyed in our time together.
Here is a link to a PDF of the file: Sanctuary Covenant for small groups
A lovely new arrival. Here’s a selection from “The Psalm of Wednesday”:
O God of Hide and Seek, who loves surprises,
give me a peek at the new hidden inside the old.
Since life is like a many-layered onion,
may I peel back a new layer this day.
O God, Ever-Present Beginning and End,
help me this day to let some things end and others begin,
and to my delight may I discover a fresh face of you.